Corporate Sustainability emerged as the translation of the concept of sustainable development to the corporate environment, giving birth to a new management model, in which the actions in the social and environmental dimensions, together with good governance practices, positively infer on the economic dimension.
Current sustainability at Cepel
Over the past years, Cepel has widened its vision and actions in terms of sustainability.
Today, several actions, research projects, technologic services, facilities, as well as cooperation and technology disclosure contribute, directly or indirectly, to meet the sustainability commitments. Thus, the objectives defined by the Sustainability Policy of Eletrobras companies are met, as well as the promotion of sustainable development, aiming at balancing business opportunities with social, economic-financial and environmental responsibility.
An important action towards this end was the creation of Cepel Sustainability Committee (CSC), in November 2009. Following the strategic orientation and aiming at implementing the set of actions being conducted by Eletrobras to support sustainability management, CSC suggests, supports and monitors issues related to the theme in the Center. This work includes:
- performing actions to raise the internal public awareness on the importance of corporate sustainability;
- meeting the demands of the pacts in which Cepel is signatory to, such as the Global Pact and the Women's Empowerment Pact;
- providing information for the Annual Sustainability Report of the Eletrobras System and further demands;
- performing improvement actions related to sustainability in the Center;
- performing actions in the group's companies, besides implementing sustainability management tools, as well as monitoring and assessing results from Cepel, such as, from the System of Indicators for Corporate Sustainability Management (IGS).
Developed by Cepel and used in every Eletrobras company, the IGS System is an important management strategic tool, which monitors since 2010 the sustainability indicators in the environmental sphere from the analysis of variables from several areas of the companies. Currently, the system is being expanded to include the social and economic-financial dimensions. Within the environmental dimension, it monitors topics such as water, energy, waste, biodiversity, volunteer actions and legal compliance through 173 performance indicators.